Friday, March 03, 2006

A kids moment

I was talking with a co-worker of mine yesterday and he was telling me a story about his grandaughter. How when she was 4 yrs old and her mother told her she couldn't have any more chocolate milk until after dinner to which she promptly responded "You're just killing me mom"
Those are the moments we live for. Well, we at least look back fondly on.

On of my favorite moments with L was about a year ago. I was fixing dinner and she came up to me after doing her homework and said. "Mom, I know what a period is." My heart almost stopped. I immediately tried to brace myself for what was coming next. Frantically I wondered who had talked to her about this - cause I was gonna kill em.

"Oh really? What is it?" I asked nonchalantly. I was stalling, trying to come up with first grader answers to any mis-information she had.

"It's that dot at the end of a sentence." she said. And she said it proudly. Her face gleeming with a satisfied grin.

I almost dropped the spoon I was holding. There was no way I could have stopped the look of surprise that planted itself on my face. I let out a bark of a laugh and grinned back at her.

"Yes it is sweets. You're right."

"Then why are you laughing?"


When I am 80 years old and dandeling my great grandchildren on my knee, I will remember her with her face looking up at me smooth with youth, smudges of dirt on her cheeks and chin, blond curly hair tangled from a long day of playing outside, so proud that she knew what a period was.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home