Thursday, December 28, 2006

I Love A New Haircut




We got one of these thingies. You can visit their website HERE


It's a woodburning furnace that sits outside, and it has done WONDERFUL things for my electric bill I can tell you. Last year at this time my electric bill was almost 500 - A MONTH, this year it's 180.00. Charles and I are pretty happy with that number....we don't have a heat pump, and it's all just forced heat and it really made our power bill go crazy..but this little baby has made it all better.

One of Charles' relatives had gotten one as well a few years ago and he used so much less electricity that the power company came out to make sure that he still lived there/make sure the meter was working correctly. That's how good this baby works.

It heats the house, and all the water, and ever since we've had it, we have NEVER run out of hot water...and that was with 8 people living in the house. It's been bliss. This coming year we are going to get an adapter put on the dryer so that the heat from the furnace will be used to dry clothes instead of the heating element...and they won't smell all smokey either - just the heat will be used.

I feel like I've gone back in time. Cool crisp weekend mornings with Charles waking up early (meaning he wakes up with the rest of us), fixes himself a cup of coffee and goes out back and chops wood all day. It just has that country "I've got things to do today and I'm going to get them done" feeling - you know? Well, maybe not - but it's a good feeling and I stay motivated all day just watching him swing his axe (today's secret word is BICEPS- can you say BICEPS? Tomorrows secret work will be Icy Hot)

I generally look after the fire on the weekends that he's not chopping...make sure there's a nice bed of hot coals and throw some wood on top to keep everything going. It only takes a few minutes and that's it.

That's what happened a few weeks ago, I was getting ready to cook breakfast and decided to go throw some wood on the fire. I was suffering from a severe case of BEDIOUS-O-HEADIOUS but decided that it didn't matter because our neighbors live far enough away from us that they wouldn't be able to see me even if there weren't a thousand trees seperating me from them...so I left my hair sticking out in all crazy directions and went and threw some wood on the fire.

Charles and Stinky had cut down a couple of trees on the property the day before...they were infested...one tree had 5 (that we found) queen ants, and another had beetles. I threw a few pieces of the wood in the furnace....and man did they stink. I decided to talk to Charles about that ... I didn't want to burn stinky wood....no need to torture the neighbors.

I went back in and started cooking a big breakfast for all 8 of us...pancakes, sausage, bacon, (yeah, I cooked both) and as I was cooking the eggs, Lauren walked up to me.....

"Mom, when is breakfast going to be ready?"

"In a minute sweetie, it's almost done."

"Mom, you hair looks funny in the front."

"I know sweetie, I haven't done my hair this morning. I figured you might want breakfast first."

"No Mom, it looks REALLY funny right here." and she reached up and pulled a huge chunk of burnt hair off the front of my head - right where the bangs go..er...were.

That would certainly explain the smell now wouldn't it.....turns out, the wood didn't stink at all. I just got to close to the fire...it also burnt off most of my eyelashes....I now have eyestubs - and one eyebrow went adios.

I'm still attractive...in that hairless, scary looking, had to get an interesting new hair cut, and had to learn how to draw my eyebrows on kind of way.

Labels:

30 Comments:

At Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Pendullum said...

I am so sorry but I am howling over here... Simply howling at your misfortune...
Ohhh... Snort snort...Ohhh Nikki it will grow back...Ohhh...Looking forward to seeing the Happy Holiday pics!!!Snort snort...
bwaaahhhhaahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Pendullum said...

I am so sorry but I am howling over here... Simply howling at your misfortune...
Ohhh... Snort snort...Ohhh Nikki it will grow back...Ohhh...Looking forward to seeing the Happy Holiday pics!!!Snort snort...
bwaaahhhhaahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Pendullum - No pics for you....pppttthhh. LOL

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:20:00 PM, Blogger St Jude said...

What on earth are you like, I can't leave you alone for a second... maybe a few months was rather too long. Missed you xx

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO - You made me spit pizza on my monitor....but at least I don't look like a freak...hahahahahah....er, um, sorry. *snort*

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:49:00 PM, Blogger Farm Girl said...

Oh no, you poor thing. Hair is essential. I'm sure you still look marvelous though. (((HUG)))

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 6:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOODDDD!!!!!

YOu poor thing!

I don't know what is worse...having you hair burnt or CUT!!!

At least I didn't have to PAINT my face on! OHHH honey....

Have you looked into the perm cosmetics???
[[hugs]]]

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 6:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to draw my eyebrows on everyday - but not because I play with fire... They're just invisible. I'm sure they'll grow back in. My dad's did after he set himself on fire...

Wow - that heater thing looks great! Of course, I haven't had to even turn on my heat but for a couple of times this year. Global warming has sucked all the fun out of winter in Florida.

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nikki, Clearly you have mistakenly posted the WRONG photo. We want to see the new haircut of course, rather than the wood stove... c'mon you gorgeous creature!

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 9:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! You're sporting a semi-Whoopie Goldberg look?!

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

St Jude - it is so good to see you. I thought you had forgotten about us.

Attila - unfortunately, it wasn't the hair on my ass that go burnt...but thanks for noticing.

Dirty - harsh man, harsh LOL

Les - The eyebrow has grown back thank goodness and I have noticed that the eyelashes are coming back...but dude...the hair! OMG my hair.

Super - I don't really want a perm...I don't have enough hair for one anymore.

Sayre - they eyebrow is back, I even had to pluck it today...just waiting on the rest.

OTJ - LMAO - you are sooooo not slick. No pictures for you either. pppttthhh.

Annie - no, nothing that drastic thank goodness, but I am sporting super short bangs and my hair is over all much shorter...kinda pisses me off that I just went and had it cut and colored the day before all this happened and then I had to go get it cut again.

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 12:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit!
That's really all I got - holy shit!
(I wouldn't mind seeing those pics myself...)
Heh.

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Elle*Bee said...

Oh. My. Gosh! That sounds like something that could only happen to me. The hair will grow back. The story will last a lifetime. (Can't you just hear it, "remember the time Mom burned off her bangs and eyelashes?").

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 1:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! At home, I'm in charge of the fire pit & that is one of my fears b/c I use SO much hair stuff!

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 3:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not a perm for your hair...permanet cosmetics....you know they tattoo your face...never to be bothered w/ make-up again?

Still I know the feeling. If you want I can recommend the hair extentions...No one in my faily is the wiser! ;o)

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 4:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...( i mean oh so sorry...) HOw in the world could you not know your hair was being burned and I mean ..your eyelashes went too >??? I think even in my most sleepiest state I would know if my eyelashes were burning off my body ..lol....

poor you .

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 5:44:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Mel - no nonononono pictures for you mean mean people LOL

Elle - I hadn't thought of that...and I'm just grateful that I have allowed no pictures of me - so there will be no actual proof in 30 years LOL

CeCe - Hope you good luck holds LOL

Super - TATOO MY FACE????!!!!! not ever girl...no no no, not the face. With my luck - I'll have a tatoo artist with the shakes from the DT's

Quinn - all I felt was a rush of warm air on my face - that's all. It didn't feel any warmer from the thousands of other times it had done that.

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 5:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure it's really cost effective but all i could think was HOW CUTE!!!!
It looks really cute.
a Happy and blessed New Year to you and yours!!!

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 8:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about that, but would lie if I'd say I didn't LOL when I read it!

 
At Friday, December 29, 2006 9:04:00 PM, Blogger carmachu said...

Didnt like your hair much did you, and your husband wouldnt let you go to the beauty parlor so you burn your hair on purpose.

Come on, admit it....

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 12:37:00 AM, Blogger JennyJinx said...

Oh, yes, the joys of burning eyebrow,um, I mean, wood. Love it! I'll be keeping my eye out on youtube for those undercover videos someone undoubtedly shot.:)

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 8:48:00 AM, Blogger Pendullum said...

Come on Nikki...
Post the pic!
Post the pic!

A great New years present to all of us... Youu know us bloggers that are here to support you through hair to eternity..HAAHAHAHA
Happy New Year!!!

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 9:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snort* (coughs to cover up laugh)
dude, that is freaking hilarious! thank God hair grows back eh?

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 5:42:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Me - Happy New Year to you too Chickie.

Stinky - It's okay - you can laugh...even I admit that it's funny LOL.

Carm - DAMN! you caught me.

Jenny - I burned those too LOL - good to see you again.

Nikki - so good to see that my namesake feels sympathy for me *prods her in the shoulder with a sharp stick*

 
At Saturday, December 30, 2006 5:43:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Pendullum - you are a bad bad girl LMAO

Shame on you...don't you feel terrible - making fun of the less fortunate?

NO? Well, don't worry about it...I wouldn't either LOL

 
At Sunday, December 31, 2006 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Pendullum said...

So, 'Mrs.Less Fortunate' are you going to post the pic of yor new lid????
hahahahaha!!!!!!
You a giving woman of strength and conviction ... Do not let a wee hair challenge get in the way of yor fellow bloggers having a good laugh...

 
At Sunday, December 31, 2006 1:13:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Pendullum - LMAO. Girl, I gotta give it to you..you are tenacious....but so am I...good thing too...since I'm going to start stalking you now.

Look out your front room window - that's me.

;D

 
At Monday, January 01, 2007 1:52:00 PM, Blogger Pendullum said...

With the 'fringed lid' and no eyebrows??
Oh you would blend in my hood honey!!!

 
At Monday, January 01, 2007 3:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snickers* so no more unibrow eh ? lmaoooooooo
comeee on post the pic girly

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the conversation go like this,
Hubby: Yeah..... your hair looks........ fine. Nikki: Are you sure? Hubby: yeeeeaaaah looks fiiiiine honey, how about those egg? LMAO, I would have paid to see that one! so now you have a reverse Mullet?

We installed a wood burning stove about 4 years ago. Cuts my propane bill in half in the winter! Plus I have two teenage boys to chop wood! Sweeeeet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home