Monday, January 15, 2007

So What Did You Do With Your Sunday Morning Part II

I couldn't believe that Charles was going to shoot the cat...and then I listened to Max go "raon raon" a couple more times and thought that maybe he was right.

I had visions of the cat bleeding out in my vents, or maybe had a broken leg or was severely hurt in some way. What if he went ape shit when we got him out? What if we couldn't get him in the cat carrier to take him to the vet? What if he died while he was in there?

I kept calling and calling and he kept calling back.....Charles made a pot of coffee....Lauren came out of her room "Mom, the cat woke up Connor." and then it struck her that mom shouldn't be on her hands and knees in the den calling to a cat thru the vents. "What's going on?"

"Max is caught in the vents hon." she started tearing up and freaking out.

"None of that hon. He's okay, he's just trapped and we have to figure out a way to get him out." she started working herself up in to a frenzy, face stretched in the pre-panice grimace.

"Lauren, get a hold of yourself. He's not hurt honey. He's okay. We just have to figure out a way to get him out is all." She calmed down and peered down in the vent and called to Max....Charles sipped at his coffee and looked at me over the rim of the cup....the baby started crying.

"Lauren, could you go amuse Connor for a bit honey until we get the cat out?"

"Okay" and she was gone. As soon as Connor's door closed Charles said "There's really something wrong with him. I've never heard a cat meow like that unless he's hurt." I nodded my head in agreement with him.

I needed to get him out of there quick. I looked down in the vent, I still couldn't see him. I thought about sticking my hand down there and waving my fingers around a bit so he could see where to come out at...but didn't want him to attack me if he was in pain...but I couldn't think of anything better...so I stuck my hand down the vent and waved my fingers a bit and prayed for the best.

He didn't attack me, but I could hear him coming closer. "Go load the gun honey" I said. If he was really hurt, I didn't want him to suffer....we live 30 minutes away from the nearest vet (which was closed)..and 45 mins away from the nearest animal hospital and that doesn't include catching him and loading him in the cat carrier.

Max's head popped up the vent and he looked at me and Raoned raoned for all he was worth. He didn't look hurt from what I could see but the rest of his body was still in the duct...I couldn't get a good look. His back legs were twisted at an odd angle and I was terrified that he had broken his back. He went back in the vents and turned around, dragging his hind legs behind him. They weren't moving.

Charles emerged with the gun, and I pushed the cat carrier to the side. If his back was broken, there wasn't going to be any need for it. I grabbed some towels and laid them out to wrap him in and some thick leather gloves to keep my hands from being gouged with his claws.

I called to him and his head popped up once more. I tried my luck again and patted the carpet next to his head to encourage him to come out. I could see him trying to pull himself up. I petted him on the head and he paused for a moment. I tried to give him some comfort and he seemed to be soaking it in. I looked at Charles, he looked at me..."Are the other cats in the house?" "Yeah" I said quietly, and Charles slipped out the back door. I looked back at Max and he quietly MEOWED.

I felt like the biggest asshole in the world. I think Max knew what was going on. I think he knew we were going to shoot him.

I tried to slip my hands under his front legs and help him out, but he didn't like that...he never scratched me though.

Charles came back inside and Max finally got his front legs out of the the vent with his paws just resting on the edge of the carpet...then I saw his back leg move...just one, and I prayed that maybe his back wasn't broken....maybe he just didn't have enough room to move.

To be continued............

Labels:

31 Comments:

At Monday, January 15, 2007 9:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah well if I looked out and saw the two of you with a cat carrier and a gun I don't think I would be in any hurry to mover either.. poor fella...

Cats are amazing they can contort their bodies into the most amazing spaces...

my bet..is that the little bugger came out soaked up some loving....went had a sleep and the very next time he felt like going for a stroll he went right back in...

Now its his new game ...

MY cat is doing that now as i said earlier..oh what fun !

 
At Monday, January 15, 2007 10:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARGH! You can't keep doing this to us! This had better not end with "I was pulling his leg, just like I'm pulling yours" or I'll be forced to come and find you!

 
At Monday, January 15, 2007 11:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On pins and needles...

 
At Monday, January 15, 2007 11:26:00 PM, Blogger ditzymoi said...

you know better than to leave me hanging like that!!!

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're killing me. And?

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 7:05:00 AM, Blogger carmachu said...

Sorry to hear.....

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I get through the day without knowing how this comes out???? Poor Max. Do animals' legs go to sleep?

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:25:00 AM, Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Well?????

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Oh!!!! **bouncing hard in my seat and waving hand in air**

I know, I know!!!! Should I say or should I wait for the big reveal?

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least I know he didn't die in the vent.....waiting for the next installment

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Pendullum said...

What? You having a cigarette break while telling a story? Making yourself a whisky? What????
You don't leave us hanging here.... Get back and tell us the rest!

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I could shoot a pet. It was all I could do to allow the vet to put my dog down when he was in a coma.

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't shoot a pet. It was all I could do to let the vet put my comatose dog down.

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so not fair to us. Git back to that dashboard, sister!

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I hate cliffhangers! How is Max?

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're KILLING me! Be back tomorrow...

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried like hell to comment yesterday but the c*nt that is blogger kept booting me.

Anyway, Poor Max kitty. Maybe his little leggies fell asleep cuz he was in an akward position?

Is Max really a he? Or is Max a She and there are little kitties hiding in your vents now?

I know he's really a Chinese Secret Service Cat and he was spying on you through your vents...

Waiting, anxiously.

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 7:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, this is getting to be torture! Do I sound like poor Mel?!

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap! Well, what happened?!?!?!

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:20:00 PM, Blogger carmachu said...

She's probably still tryng to get the cat out....

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing the little bastard had a mouse in there or something.

SOooooooooooooooo WTF happened?

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so tell me, did the cat have any fur on it's face?

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 1:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the rest of the story is?

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:05:00 PM, Blogger Pendullum said...

Nikki!!!!! Did you get stuck in the vent????
Where's the next post woman????

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 6:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope you haven't shot Charles. It's kind of hard to blog from jail.

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:02:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

LMAO at you guys.

I'll post the rest tonight after American Idol...yes, I watch it..it's just to damn funny not to watch.

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:04:00 PM, Blogger ditzymoi said...

lmao ... Idol is hilarious ..it makes me cringe and laugh at the same time !

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007 11:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see the "Bohemian Rhapsody" guy????? OMG, I thought they were all going to slide under the desk laughing.

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got me hooked. Idol is over dammit, what happened?!

By the way, I have total Blog Name Envy.

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm hanging over here, well????

m

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remind me to never get stuck in your damn vent. Geez!

I wanna see Paula puke on Simon this season on AI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home