Saturday, July 28, 2007

I'm Feeling Good

I can cook.


Now I realize that I may be getting way ahead of myself here, especially in light of my online confession here...but I think the ol' brain has finally assimilated some information on how not to burn food.


I've been on a really good..uh...good food cooking streak for a while now, and that just doesn't happen. I usually pump out something palatable ...oh....I'd say...about one dish (dish people, not meal)every 2 weeks or so.....but I am really topping myself here lately (not that I'm ready to go onto Hell's Kitchen or anything).


Last night I made the yummiest chicken ever. It wasn't dried up like old cardboard like it usually is....it was tender and juicy and it wasn't raw in the middle or burnt on the outside....the juices fairly burst from the chicken when we cut it. The mashed potatoes were perfection, the green beans were GREEN and had not withered in the pot from lack of stirring. The cucumbers were sliced in uniform pieces with no gouges on the sides and the sweet tea was just right.....and to think, I didn't even have to lock the children up in their rooms or duct tape them to the floor so I could accomplish this.


I also made a home made blackberry pie last night...my first pie ever....and it tastes wonderful....and I don't even like blackberries! I will however admit to calling my mother in law at least 5 different times to assist me. I can say whatever else about the woman...but she can cook like no body's business.


The night before last, I made the most tender and mouth watering cubed steak that God could think to grace the earth with. The rice wasn't crunchy, the broccoli was just right and I served that with fresh sliced tomatoes and onions. I damn near had an orgasm half way thru dinner.(and no, that didn't upset the hubby, he was happy....said it just meant he wouldn't have to work as hard later)


The ultimate test was this evening though.


I went to the store and got a lemon cake and frosting, and decided that's what I would have for my birthday. I went home, started mixing and suddenly realized that I didn't have any oil for the recipe...in a daring and clever move...I decided to substitute 2 egg whites for 1/3 cup of oil....and that was when it struck me like a bolt of lightening....it was time to confront my one true nemesis...the culinary creation of evil!!!!!!!...the bundt cake.


Laugh if you must. I have failed so miserably at these things over the years its just pathetic (more pathetic than my normal cooking if you can imagine that). My one true claim to fame has been cupcakes....it is after all.....hard to screw them up.....but I was feeling confident after the resounding success of the blueberry pie...and dug back....WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY back to the back of the cabinets and pulled out my two bundt cake pans.


I was in a quandary. Which one should I pick? I chose the green one over the orange. I have failed at my last 3 bundt cake attempts in the orange pan......sprayed with Pam....and poured my smooth delicious looking batter. I had changed the position of the racks in the oven....something that I have just taken to doing frequently (I think this has a lot to do with my recent successes), slid the pan in, and set the timer.


There was nothing to do but wait, and wait and wait. I resisted temptation as much as possible to open the door and peak in. The last bundt cake fell AND burnt because of my compulsion I think.....and 38 minutes later, I pulled out the most beautiful bundt cake ever. It wasn't just lovely in comparison to my usual cooking....it was lovely in general. It looked like something normal people would eat....and I was proud.


After a dinner of left over cubed steak, chicken, green beans and rice, I cut a small slice of cake.....cake I had left unfrosted.....the first unfrosted cake I have ever made. I admired the smell, color and the moistness....noticed it was a little dense for my liking BUT! it hadn't fallen....I picked up my fork, anticipating the zing of the lemon....and the phone rang. DDDDAAAAMMMMNNNNN!


It was my mother in law...calling to check and see how the blueberry pie came out....I gave the phone to Charles and sat back down. I quickly cut a piece and scooped it up with my fork.


It was wonderful.


I gave everyone at the table a bite of my cake...finished every last crumb on my plate...looked at Charles and said


"You only had to wait 10 years for me to learn how to cook."


he chuckled


"I think I'm just going to sit here and be smug for a while. I feel awful proud of myself"


"You did good baby"


"Yeah, now if I could only learn to keep a good house"


"Don't get ahead of yourself"


"Ass"


*sticks out tongue at me*

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the cooking. Now come and teach my husband please. The man can't cook to save his soul. And cleaning? Fuck that, hire a maid.

 
At Sunday, July 29, 2007 12:38:00 PM, Blogger carmachu said...

Awesome! Way to go.
I learned to cook recently for wen the baby gets here....so when she's too tired and I dont want to bring take out....I know the feeling of callings someone a billion times to ask questions.

 
At Monday, July 30, 2007 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Chicky Pea said...

I love to cook. If you need some lessons, let me know. I could probably help with that house thing too :-) Good for you!!!

 
At Monday, July 30, 2007 4:23:00 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Do Iknow you? This sounds exactly like my life, and my wife.

 
At Monday, July 30, 2007 7:02:00 PM, Blogger ditzymoi said...

ive taken to leaving the food channel on while i sleep :) im hoping for cooking by osmosis

 
At Monday, July 30, 2007 7:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand how it feels. Congratulations. Don't let anyone minimize it.

 
At Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:26:00 AM, Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

Ole' Betty would be so proud.*wipes eyes*

I tell my girls to marry rich.

 
At Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you good enough to be nicknamed Rachel Ray yet?!

I can cook, I just don't like to. But when I do cook, those are the meals the kids wolf down which is very flattering...that I haven't poisoned them yet.

 
At Friday, August 03, 2007 1:11:00 PM, Blogger Superstar said...

Holy domesticated chicka!
*giggles*
FYI my secret (southern and all)for plump chicken that NEVER is dry is butter/margerine in between the skin and meat. The other "trick" since I am more health conscious is to use virgin olive oil and use Kosher salt around the outside. ;o)

MMMMMMMMM Lemon cake! I LOVE Lemon Cake. ;D

 
At Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Los said...

Oh my god - I am now salavating. I guess you watch Top Chef? If not, you must!

 
At Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Way to go on the bundt cake. I still can't make one. Of course, I can't bake period but that is not the point. Blackberry pie is my ultimate fav though. I love it. So good a la mode... hmmm... yum.

And just when Charles didn't think he could love you anymore.:) Don't make him too fat now.

 
At Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:59:00 PM, Blogger Sayre said...

I think bundt cake is supposed to be a bit denser - so you're okay on that.

All the time I was growing up, my mom couldn't cook. She put some okay stuff on the table and some horrible stuff as well. Many a night I was still at the table at midnight refusing to eat whatever it was she'd made.

Now that it's just her and dad, she cooks. Amazingly well! People ask her for recipes and stuff.

So tell your kids they're lucky you didn't wait until they were gone before you figured it out...

 
At Wednesday, August 08, 2007 3:04:00 AM, Blogger Me said...

Really, congrats on the cooking!
I am always fairly intimidated by it.
ON a different note, I was flipping through channels the other day and saw this British chef barking orders on some reality cooking show with the words 'HK' behind it and since then, have been trying to figure out what HK stands for.
I thought it was Hong Kong for some unimaginative reason. Thank you for clearing that bit up. Hell's Kitchen, got it!

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:48:00 PM, Blogger Samantha_K said...

The first pie I successfully made was blackberry also. I cut stars out of the top crust. I even took pictures of it. Cooking success is an awesome feeling. Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home