Sunday, August 27, 2006

Mama! Mama.

"Mama! Mama. Mama"

I hear him from the computer room and I go to check on him. It's early morning, 2am and he's sick again.

I put my head in his room and find him in the darkness. His room lite only by his small night light and the light seeping in the the bathroom across the way. He's asleep on his tummy, knees tucked beneath him, his favorite sleeping position. He had been calling me in his sleep, like he always does when he's sick. He's a bit wrestless and I watch him for a moment.

He has kicked off his blanket. I debate the wisdom of covering him up. The slightest touch might wake him and he needs his sleep. I cover him anyway and he's immediately awake. He stands and stretches his arms up to me.

I pick him up and he rests his head on my shoulder, my right shoulder and lets the rest of his body go limp. I give him a snuggle and he's warm. Not just sleep warm, he's got a fever. I carry him to the kitchen and open the medicine cabinet and take his temperature. It's not bad, 100.1, but I take out the medicine anyway.

I'm concerned and worried. Connor hardly ever runs a fever, even when he's really sick. Is this a sign of bad things to come, or is this better, showing me that his body is fighting it? I can't decide and can feel my forehead crease in a frown.

I offer him Tylenol, cherry flavored. He tastes a bit, takes half and then shakes his head no. I offer again, he shakes his head no.

I sit on the floor, Indian style, and he sits on my calves. He loves doing that, it's like his personal baby chair, and wraps my arms around himself and leans back into me. I rock him for a minute, from side to side and give him kisses and snuggles. I decide to try again with the medicine and he shakes his head no. I try again and he shakes his head no.

"Okay sweetie, let's change your diaper and we'll try again in a minute."

We pass the drain board and he sees his favorite cup.

"Mama. Mama" he says pointing to it.

"Just a minute baby. Let's change your diaper first."

All fresh and clean, I return to the kitchen and fix him some cool water. He backs away from the cup like it's a viper. I can't for the life of me figure out why he doesn't like water. It's a rare drop that has ever passed his lips. I decide not to offer milk...not with his fever, that's just asking for trouble.

I offer the medicine again and he shakes his head no. I lean back slightly and sit on my haunches and put him on my knee. I offer again, he shakes his head no. I try soothing words and comforting sounds, but he shakes his head no.

"Sorry little man, but half isn't gonna do it. You have to take it all." I force the medicine dropper past his lips, squirt a little medicine in and he pushes it out with his tongue. I sigh, because I know what I have to do next. I tilt his head back, forcing him to stay that way and push the dropper pasts his lips. He swallows.

I wait for a moment to see if it's going to come back up. His gag reflex is very sensitive and this wouldn't be the first time I've worn his medicine. I look at him, he looks at me and rests his head on my shoulder. I wish Charles were awake. I hate forcing him to take his medicine. I'm always afraid that I'm going to choke him, or that he'll throw up, but he seems to be keeping it down okay.

I pick him up and he puts his head on my shoulder, my right shoulder this time and pats my arm.

"Night-night. Night-night"

"Yes baby. Night-night" I give him a little snuggle and rub his back and he goes limp.

We walk back to his room and I rock him and sing. I sing the ABC's, and This Little Light of Mine, and the Barney song. He squirms a bit and switches from shoulder to shoulder and I rub his back.

"Time for night-night" I whisper. I've rocked him for half an hour and he's not going to sleep.

"Night-night" he whispers back. I lay him down in his crib, on his tummy like he likes it, and he tucks his knees under him. I cover him up and tuck him in lightly and rub his back for a few seconds and tell him Night-night one more time.

He lifts his head to watch me leave the room and I expect him to cry. I wait for it while walking away, but there's no sound but him settling in and getting comfy.

I linger outside his door, just out of sight to listen to him, to make sure he's okay, and I hear him whisper "night-night" one more time and he's asleep.

Labels:

26 Comments:

At Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:28:00 AM, Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

Poor thing, both of you. I hate when my kids are sick.

I wouldn't worry about his fever just yet. As you thought, it's his body fighting off the illness, that's a good thing. If things get worse, put him in a luke warm bath and run the water on him, his temp. will come down. Hospitals usually don't suggest you bring them in to see a dr. unless it's 105 but of course, no parent I know would wait 'til then! I'm sure everything will be fine.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:58:00 AM, Blogger Sayre said...

I've had so many nights like the one you describe. This brought back so many memories.

I remember one night, Z was sick with a fever and woke up at 2am. It was a cold, clear night and the stars were out. I picked him up, wrapped us both in a blanket and went outside to sit on the deck. After a while, he started to cool down, put his head on my shoulder and went to sleep. I snuggled him closer and sat outside for another hour... with the stars and the crickets and my baby and me wrapped in a blanket. Magic.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Blair - I'm hoping it's just a little virus or something and that another trip to the Dr isn't required. They know me by sight in that place.

Sayre - what a lovely picture. Not of your son being sick of course, but of the two of you together wrapped in a blanket.

Before I got pregnant with Connor, Lauren and I would do that every once in a while...sitting on the steps and snuggling, listening to the morning sounds.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Hey Nikki,
I hope Connor gets well real soon!
And i hope you are getting your rest too. poor baby - both of you.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a little off point, but your an excellent storyteller.

I hope he gets better as well. Its good that his body is fighting with a fever..as scary as fevers can be. I've been down with a cold myself, so perhaps something is going around, or its the change in seasons. But I'm sure he'll be fine. :) No worries.

Take care, both of you.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:42:00 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said...

That was a sweet one Nikki. I hope he feels better soon.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 2:15:00 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

Poor thing. I hope he feels better soon.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 2:49:00 PM, Blogger Alcluith said...

Poor wee thing :-( Hope he's feeling better soon.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:13:00 PM, Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

What a beautiful portrait. You really are a great storyteller. I also hope that Connor gets better ASAP.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:45:00 PM, Blogger carmachu said...

Nice job there mom. Yeah, sarah likes to curl up with mommy.....

Yeah those fevers are something to watch. You just dont know what it is...we're lucky. Sarah has ALWAYS taken medicine with NO complains or fuss. Just opens and swallows...

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:56:00 PM, Blogger Kathryn Craven said...

oh, and he didn't even urp on you this time. oh. i'm sorry you have a sick one. my not being a parrent the only fun advice i can offer is how to lock a cat's head back in order to shove a pill down the throat, but they might call child protective services on ya.

i hope wee one gets better soon. i shall send warm packets of fuzzies your way.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:58:00 PM, Blogger stinkypaw said...

Hope he'll feel better soon!

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:07:00 PM, Blogger Los said...

It was a sad story, but you proved how great of a mommy you are.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:47:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Me - thanks. I hope so too. I'm friggin tired! LOL

Shrig - Thanks! I wanted to try something a little different. I'm glad you liked it...and drink OJ.

Joy - Thanks

Sam - I'll tell him you gave him an ultimatum....okay maybe not. LOL

Claire - Thanks.

TPF - Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Carm - Connor has never taken medicine easily, and neither has Lauren. You are VERY lucky.

Kat - Excellent - I could use some warm fuzzies.

Stinky - me too!! LOL

Los - What a great compliment. Thanks. I mean that.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post. I hope he's feeling better.

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 8:23:00 AM, Blogger carmachu said...

I know we are. We get stories from other parents, some who literallyhave to hold the kid down to take it.

Sarah will just walk up, open and swallow the meds. Although lately she needs a glass pf water.

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 9:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fevers are a good thing. it means his body is actually fighting the bug. i totally understand the feelings though. aaron looked as if he was starting to feel under the weather too. i hope he's not getting my cold or it's back to breathing treatments. hope your little guy feels better and you can get some sleep.

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 9:58:00 AM, Blogger Pendullum said...

How's he feeling today???
That was pretty...
I am pausing thinking about your post ...
and then...
And then???
2 am in your computer room????
Nikki, were you working on the MEME???
2 am in the computer room!!!
No wonder Charles was asleep!!!

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 12:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write of my future, I think. It's not so bad. :)

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 2:47:00 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Making me choke up at work again, I see...
I love this. It caught the perfect mood of being up late at night with a sick child. And how nice it is to be able to cuddle the (usually) little dynamos; how nice it is that they let you, even if only because they're under the weather.
Hope he's better soon.

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 4:02:00 PM, Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I hope Connor is feeling better. I've had many nights like that with my 3 boys. In fact, once he became mobile, the *only* time Son#1 would let me cuddle with him is when he's sick. Very nice post. Captured the worry of a mom, and the peacefulness of you and your little guy just connecting in the wee hours.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Blogger Nikki said...

Mama - Thanks. He's much better now.

Carm - I have to poor the medicine, poor the drink and set them side by side for Lauren so she can chug one, and then the other. The whole time she dances around like the medicine is eating her tongue away like acid. Oh, the drama.

Nikki - thank goodness we didn't have to go back to Connor's breathing treatments. That stuff gets him so charged up he'll run from one side of the house to the other over and over again.

I hope Aaron's doin' okay.

Pendullum - LOL! I was up at 2am b/c I had gone to bed early and ended up waking up at 12 and couldn't go back to sleep. No, I wasn't working on a stinky old meme that some hag tagged me with. LOL

Jeff - no, it's not so bad, as long as you don't like sleep. LOL

Mel - Thanks

Elle - He's a cute little booger, and is feeling much better.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:22:00 AM, Blogger Misha said...

Not only are you a funny and sarcastic biyotch, you are a talented and poignant writer as well.

Hope all is well.

And I now have the plague (aka nasty summer cold that Lauren had 3 weeks ago has now afflicted Mommy, who is not happy with the new developments).

Son of a .....

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:23:00 PM, Blogger Kevin Charnas said...

poor little guy...that was so sweet, though...made me smile, big.


night, night...

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:48:00 AM, Blogger happykat said...

You're a good mommy.

*sigh*

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:53:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Misha - thanks, and keep the plague up your way would you? You can be selfish like that, just this once. LOL

Kevin - *whispers* night night

HK - Thanks. I mean that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home