Sunday, March 12, 2006

Another Kids Moment

I was just sitting here thinking of L while she is off with the neighbors - S and J (she loves going over there - I think because they don't have a baby to scream, cry and throw things)- and I remembered that during the pre-baby-brother days, we would go to Pet Smart every Saturday so she could look at all the dogs, cats and other animals. Her favorite part was the fish. After we had spent the appropriate amount of time oohing and aahing over all the potential pets, we would pick up something small and stand in the checkout line with the other faithful animal lovers who like to indulge their pets from time to time.

On this on particular day, when she was about 4 yrs old. It was unseasonably warm and L wanted something to drink from the cooler by the checkout. I told her it was okay to go ahead and get something and watched her walk over and stare inside. L knew her choices were restricted to water, lemon-aid and such, as I never let her have more than a very small cup of soda (or drink for you folks I grew up with) and that was a very rare day when I let her have that.
She opened the cooler door and half yelled "Mom! Can I have this!?" she yanked and tugged a soda free and held it up with that "Pretty Please - I'll Love You Forever if You Only Get Me This One Thing" look. "No lovely, you're still to short for that" I said. (My way of telling her she was to little) She put her head down and I felt kind-a bad for her. I was rethinking my very firm stance on young children and soda - when she again half yelled back at me "How 'bout now!? Can I have it now!?" I looked at her and she was straining on her tippy-toes and trying her best to elongate her body somehow and was giving me the "Please MOM!" look.

I busted out laughing. I had never once told her she was to little for it. I had always used the term "to short". I loved her even more for being so clever. "Yes sweets. You can have it now."
I never said I wasn't a sucker.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Monday, March 13, 2006 8:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just see this moment in my minds eye. :-)

 
At Monday, March 13, 2006 1:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! Sounds like something my little granddaughter might say! Pet Smart is the best outing ever! And good for you on the limit of sodas.
P)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home