Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Welcome Home Bitch

My brother is home on leave from Iraq( I would tell you what he does but then I'd have to kill you). I'm so damn tickled I can hardly stand it.

I would be even more tickled if he could drop by and give his little sister a hug, but his being in Texas prevents that. I'm kind-a upset about that even realizing that he would still probably wrestle me down to the floor, pin me and pop my toes. (God! that hurts)

My brother, who has given up the first Christmas with his first child (his son), has endured long term separation from his wife and family, worked long hours suffering from exhaustion, been exposed to extreme heat, freezing temperatures and everything in between,who has seen sights no man should see, is home with his family.

I'll never forget the first letter he sent me from Basic. It went something along these lines:

Sup Bitch,

We were doing sit-ups up hill the other day and some grass got in the crack of my ass and I thought of you.

Can't you just feel the love that radiates from those words? Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy doesn't it. He's such a softy, to bad he has trouble expressing himself.

I'm not here to debate with you about the war in Iraq. I'm not concerned if you feel like it's the right thing or the wrong thing. I'm not going to debate over the tactics that got us sent over there, right or wrong. I'm here to express my joy that my favorite Shitbird is home. I'm very proud of him (God, don't tell him, I'll never live it down), and I will not subject him to assholes bashing him or anything he does. Period. He's got enough to worry about, besides, if anyone is going to talk shit and abuse him, it's going to be me. I won't let you horn in on my fun.

I know he doesn't want to go back, and I don't want him to go back but when duty calls, you go because you are a soldier, defender, protector and liberator. You go because you love your country, freedom and because you signed the dotted line saying you would go, regardless of your feelings about the subject and the politics that go with it. You go because if you don't, they'll throw your ass in Leavenworth, and since no one can accuse my brother of being a complete idiot (he's just the standard type), he went.

For now, let's just all pretend that we all agree on one thing. Let's pretend that we are glad that he and all the other soldiers, who lay their lives on the line, are there to do it, so we don't have to.

Welcome home Bitch. I love ya.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:07:00 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

Aw damn, I'm cryin' again. My former high school sweetheart should have been returning about now. I am so glad for your brother - and his family - that he made it home safely.

Welcome home, Nikki's brother, and thank you for your service.

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:15:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

These are for you Jay. Love you.

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:57:00 PM, Blogger Misha said...

Maybe you can make the 2 1/2 hour drive up from Fredricksburg and let him pop your toes at BWI (if he has a layover) when he ships back out... you know, for old time's sake. ;)

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:08:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

LOL Misha. I don't know if I miss him that much ;D.

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 7:53:00 PM, Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Nikki, that was soooo beautiful! I hope you let him read it!

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:07:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Thank you Attila. I did call Mr. Smooth Talker and gave him my address to this blog and his savy answer was "Blog? What the hell? I didn't even know you had a blog. You can't write shit, what the hell do you have a blog for? Love you Bitch, I'll talk to you later." in Jay speak, that translates into "I'll read it as soon as I have a chance, I'm kind-a caught up at the moment. I love you and your writing and look forward to reading it. Love you, talk to you later."

I guess you just have to know him.
What can I say. He loves me.

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Kathy Cullen said...

Hey Nikki, tell your brother thank you for doing that he does for our country. Whatever his reasons for doing it, and I imagine it's a combination of everything you said, it should be appreciated. Sounds like you guys have a great relationship, I envy that. Life is too short, to not have a sibling to call you a bitch once in awhile. Sounds like we share similar feelings on this war thing. I'll just leave it at that. I hope brother dearest is stateside for good, sometime very soon.

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I surfed in randomly from hitting "next blog", and read the posts on your brother returning from Iraq. Congratulations, and I hope his travel home is a safe one. I thank him for the sacrifice he's made defending his country.

Ok, please read past the next sentence before hitting the delete button:

I do not agree with the war in Iraq, nor our President.

I totally appreciate what our troops are doing over there, and I support anything that helps them to complete their mission safely and quickly, and brings them home. They are true American heroes.

As someone who disagrees with the policymakers, let me apologize for all the clueless jerks who can't separate their personal views on American policy from their view of the average American soldier.

Best regards and thanks to your brother and all those soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who are over there defending democracy.

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:25:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Matt, Thank you for stopping by. You are welcome here, whatever political views you have. And Thank you.

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nikki,
I just love you and Jay so much !! I'm so glad he is back for a visit !! :-)

Thanks for letting us know. I love your blog btw..
Aunt Lynn

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:04:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Love you too Aunt Lynn. And you should love my blog, your humor is just as twisted as mine (wink).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home